- Serving: For 4 People
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 384
- Carbohydrate Content: 37 g
- Cholesterol Content: 54 mg
- Fat Content: 32 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 32 g
Recipe courtesy of the California Wild Rice Advisory Board. Created by Executive Chef Lina Fat Old Sacramento, California. This elegant dish makes the most of two upscale California classics—California Wild Rice and artichokes.
- 1/2 cup uncooked California wild rice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 4 medium globe artichokes
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced (about 9 ounces)
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 1 medium red apple, diced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons tarragon, minced (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine California Wild Rice and chicken stock in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, about 45 to 50 minutes. Drain excess if necessary and transfer to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Meanwhile, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Trim stems, lower leaves and tops from artichokes. Add artichokes to boiling water, add salt if desired. Reduce to a gentle simmer, cover and cook until a petal near the center pulls out easily, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain and cool completely. Halve each artichoke lengthwise, scraping out the fuzzy choke. Set halves aside.
- Add chicken, celery, apple, scallion and tarragon to wild rice. In a small bowl, whisk oil, vinegar, mustard and sugar until combined. Pour over rice mixture and toss well. Season with salt and pepper and divide mixture over artichoke halves.