- Yield: 48 servings
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45-55 minutes
- Serving: For 48 People
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 380 kcal
- Carbohydrate Content: 61 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Sodium Content: 115 mg
- Trans Fat Content: 0 g
This recipe provides 1 oz. equivalent of whole grain-rich grains, 2 oz. equivalent meat/meat alternate, 1/2 cup of vegetables, and a 1/2 cup of fruit.
The Cranberry Rice Salad Shaker recipe was created in partnership with the Cranberry Marketing Committee and can be utilized for every season.
- 2lb. 12oz. Brown rice, parboiled, uncooked
- 1 gal. Boiling Water
- 4.5 cups Orange Juice
- 1.5 cups Vinegar, white
- 2 tsp. or to taste Orange Zest
- 3/8 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Oil, vegetable, canola, or olive
- 1.5 qt. Black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1.5 qt. Red pepper, diced (.5 inch dice)
- 1.5 qt. Cucumbers, pared, diced(.5 inch dice)
- 1.5 qt. Carrot, shredded, RTE
- 3 lb. 8 oz. or 3 qt. Cranberries, dried
- 6 lb. Chicken, boneless, fully cooked, diced, chilled
1. Combine rice and hot water in a 4-inch deep full-size pan, taking care to avoid burns from hot water; cover and place in preheated 350°F oven. Cook for 45 minutes; stir and check doneness. If necessary, cook 5-10 minutes longer until rice is fully cooked.
2. While rice is cooking, prepare salad dressing by combining orange juice, vinegar, orange zest and sugar, then divide into two equal amounts. Critical Control Point (CCP): Cold hold at 41°F or below.
3. Combine cooked rice, half of dressing and oil. Mix thoroughly. If needed, transfer to pans with ½-inch to 1-inch rice mixture depth to speed chilling. Chill to 70°F within 2 hours and to 41°F within 4 hours. Critical Control Point (CCP): Cold hold at 41°F or below. Chef’s Tip: Rice may be prepared the day before service. Follow food safety procedures and record CCPs and times.
4. While rice is chilling: Prepare vegetables for layers: rinse and drain black beans, dice cucumber and red peppers; and measure shredded carrots RTE or shred from whole carrots. CCP: Cold hold at 41°F or below.
5. To Serve: In an 18-fl. oz. clear cup, layer:
• 1/8 cup each of black beans, red pepper, diced cucumber and shredded carrot (½ cup total vegetables)
• ½ cup chilled rice and dressing
• ¼ cup dried cranberries
• 2 oz. eq. of diced chicken
• 1 Tbsp. of Orange Dressing.