This cross of a Mexican empanada with an Italian pepperoni and rice filling will be a popular item with appeal by all age groups.
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 Cups Yellow Onion
- 1 Cup Green Bell Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasonings
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2-1/2 Cups Pizza Sauce
- 1-1/2 Quart Long Or Medium Grain Rice 1-1/2 QuartLong Or Medium Grain Rice
- 1 Cup Pepperoni
- 1 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 4-1/2 Pounds Pizza Dough
- 1 Cup Egg Wash
- In large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat; add onion and peppers and saute 3 minutes. Add garlic, Italian seasoning and pepper and continue cooking 1 1/2 minutes.
- Add the pizza sauce, mix well and simmer 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir rice, pepperoni and cheese into vegetable mixture and toss well to coat. Cool.
- Cut dough into 12 6-ounce balls and roll out each into a 6-inch square. Spoon approximately 1/3 cup filling into center of each square. Fold into a triangle and press edges together with the edges of a fork. Brush tops with egg wash and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in 425 F. oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown and heated through. Serve warm or at room temperature.