- Yield: 50
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 298
- Carbohydrate Content: 38.95 g
- Cholesterol Content: 21.41 mg
- Fat Content: 9.96 g
- Fiber Content: 5.52 g
- Protein Content: 12.95 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3.79 g
- Sodium Content: 418.08 mg
Recipe developed for USA Rice by Chef Cyndie Story, PhD, RD, CC.
For a downloadable PDF of this recipe with information for 50 & 100 servings and complete nutritional information, click here (PDF).
- 4 pounds 8 ounces Ground beef, raw, 85%
- 1 pound 12 ounces (4 cups) Onion, yellow, diced
- ½ cup Chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Black pepper, ground
- 2 teaspoons Cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 6 pounds 10 ounces (3 quarts 2 cups) Tomato sauce
- 4 pounds 12 ounces (1 gallon ½ cup) Pinto beans, canned, drained, rinsed
- 7 pounds 13 ounces (1 ½ gallon 1 cup) Brown rice, parboiled, cooked
- 1 pound 8 ounces (150 chips) Tortilla chips, whole grain
- 13 ounces (1 ¾ cup) Cheddar cheese, reduced fat, shredded
- Brown ground beef in a tilt skillet, steam jacketed kettle or a stockpot.
- Add onions, chili powder, black pepper, cumin and salt. Stir to combine and continue to cook until onions are translucent.
- Add tomato sauce and pinto beans. Bring to a simmer and continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
*Critical Control Point: Heat to 165°F or higher for at least 15 seconds.
- Pour into serving pans.
*Critical Control Point: Hold for service at 135°F or higher.
- Portion ½ cup cooked rice into a serving bowl using a number 8 disher. Add 2/3 cup of beef and pinto chili using a number 6 disher. Place 3 tortilla chips on the side and top chili with 1 tablespoon shredded cheddar cheese.