- Yield: 4 cups
- Serving: For 4 People
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 160
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Cholesterol Content: 0 mg
- Fat Content: 3.5 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Sodium Content: 20 mg
- Sugar Content: 10 g
- Trans Fat Content: 0 g
Recipe developed for USA Rice by Kara Lydon, RD, LDN, RYT
- 1 cup U.S.-grown short grain brown rice
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup raisins
- slivered almonds (optional)
- coconut whipped cream* (optional)
- Ingredients for Coconut Whipped Cream:
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp maple syrup (optional)
For Coconut Brown Rice Pudding:
- In a slow cooker, add rice, coconut milk, water, syrup, and vanilla and cook on low for 3 1/2 hours or until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in cinnamon and add more as desired to taste. Stir in raisins.
- Top with coconut whipped cream and/or slivered almonds (optional)
*For Coconut Whipped Cream (optional):
- Store the can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight.
- Place a medium-sized mixing bowl in the freezer for five minutes or so before you're ready to whip the cream.
- Open the can of coconut milk and discard the semi-clear liquid that's sitting at the top.
- Add remaining coconut milk to the chilled mixing bowl and using an electric mixer, whip until stiff peaks begin to form (about 5 minutes).
- Add maple syrup to sweeten and whip to combine (optional)