- Serving: For 12 people
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 170
- Carbohydrate Content: 22 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 160 mg
- 4 ounces pecans, chopped
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon canola oil, divided use
- 1 1/2 cups celery, diced
- 1 1/2 cups onions, diced
- 1 medium red apple, halved, cored, and diced
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1 cup hot cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded (if desired) and finely choppedOR 1/4 tsp. dried pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rubbed sage
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the pecans and cook 2-3 minutes or until beginning to brown, stirring frequently. Set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of canola oil over medium heat.
- Cook the celery and onions 8 minutes or until beginning to lightly brown on edges, stirring occasionally.
- Add the apples and cook 4 minutes or until tender crisp.
- Stir in the pecans and the remaining ingredients and cook 3-4 minutes or until the rice mixture is heated, stirring occasionally.Note: To cook rice, bring 2 1/4 cups water to boil in medium saucepan. Add 1/3 cup uncooked wild rice, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice, cover, simmer 33-35 minutes or until tender and liquid is absorbed.