- 2 tablespoons Lemon grass, minced
- 1 tablespoon Ginger, minced
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1.5 tablespoons Red curry paste
- 3 tablespoons Sugar
- 1/3 cup Fish sauce
- 3 pounds Beef flank steak
- Satay Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons Garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon Red curry paste
- 1 teaspoon Lime zest
- 1 tablespoon Lemon grass, minced
- 1 can (13.5 oz) Canned coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons Tamarind pulp
- 2 tablespoons Fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Lime juice, divided
- 2 teaspoons Lime zest, divided
- 1/2 cup Crunchy peanut butter
- 3 quarts Cooked Jasmine rice
- 12 Tender lettuce leaves
- 1-1/2 cups Carrots, peeled and cut into julienne
- 1 cup Bean sprouts
- 36 Mint leaves
- 36 Basil leaves
- 1/4 cup Lemon grass vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup Cilantro (garnish)
- 3/4 cup Peanuts (garnish)
- Lemon Grass Vinaigrette
- 8 Lemongrass stalks, minced
- 1 cup Rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1/4 cup Lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Thai Bird Chile, finely sliced
Marinade: Combine the lemon grass, ginger, garlic, curry paste, sugar and fish sauce in a bowl. Add the beef strips; toss to coat, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Satay Sauce: Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the garlic, shallot, curry paste, 1 teaspoon lime zest, and lemon grass. Stir-fry until aromatic. Add the coconut milk, tamarind, fish sauce, sugar, 1 tablespoon lime juice, and peanut butter. Simmer for about 8 minutes, or until the consistency of unbeaten cream. Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed (add remaining lime juice and lime zest).
Beef: Remove the beef from the marinade; discard marinade. If using skewers, slice beef into 26 strips and thread a strip of beef onto each skewer. Just before service, grill the skewered beef over a high fire until browned (about 1 1/2 minutes). If not skewered, griddle cook over the highest heat possible until browned or 125⁰ F internal temperature; slice beef into 36 strips.
Salad: Place 1 cup hot rice in a deep bowl. Top with lettuce, carrots, bean sprouts and herbs. Dress lightly with vinaigrette. Place 3 strips of beef on top; drizzle with peanut sauce and garnish with chopped cilantro and peanuts.
Lemon grass vinaigrette: In a saucepan, bring the lemongrass, vinegar and sugar to a boil over high heat; reduce by half. Remove from heat and strain; discard lemongrass. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well; refrigerate until ready to use.