- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Serving Size: 1 cup rice mixture
A pita or tortilla is filled with a brown rice mixture of onion, mushrooms, dried tomatoes, garlic, spinach and walnuts and served with a goat cheese spread.
- 1 1/2 Cup Goat Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Thyme Leaves
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Basil Leaves
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 Cups Red Onion
- 1 Quart White Mushrooms
- 1 Cup Dried Tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic
- 2 Quarts Fresh Spinach
- 2 Quarts Whole Grain Brown Rice*
- 1 1/2 Cup Toasted Walnuts
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 12 Whole Whole Wheat Pitas
- In mixing bowl, mix goat cheese, cream, pepper and herbs until smooth and creamy. Place in covered container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours until ready to use as directed.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; add onion and sauté 2 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and continue cooking 3-4 minutes until tender. Add tomatoes and garlic and continue sautéing 2 minutes. Add spinach and cook several minutes until wilted.
- Stir in rice and heat completely. Add nuts, salt and pepper and blend together. Should not be runny. Keep warm until ready to use as directed.
- To Serve: For each serving, spread 1/4 cup goat cheese spread over top of pita. Fill with 1 cup rice-spinach mixture. Fold and serve. Serve with fresh fruit salad and vegetable chips.