- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Serving Size: 1 cup
This taste of Cajun country touches on the classic complete with the holy trinity of onion, pepper and garlic complemented with tomatoes, thyme, sausage and shrimp.
- 1-1/2 Pound Smoked Country-style Sausage
- 2 Cups Long Grain Rice
- 1-1/2 Cup Green Bell Pepper
- 1-1/2 Cup Yellow Onions
- 3 Tablespoons Garlic
- 3 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
- 1 Quart Diced Tomatoes
- 3 Cups Chicken Or Fish Stock
- 3 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Red Pepper
- 1-1/2 Cup Shrimp
- 1/2 Cup Parsley
- In large skillet cook sausage over medium-high heat until browned; remove from skillet and place in bottom of full-size steamtable pan along with rice. Reserve. Discard all but 1/4 pan drippings from skillet.
- Add pepper and onion to skillet and sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional 1 minute. Stir in flour and brown slowly, for 5 minutes, over medium heat, stirring often. Pour over sausage-rice mixture and mix completely. Spread evenly over bottom of pan.
- In large pot combine tomatoes, stock, Worcestershire sauce, salt, thyme and peppers and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes. Pour mixture over top of rice mixture in pan and stir well. Cover and bake in 350 F. oven for 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from oven.
- Stir shrimp and parsley into rice and continue to bake another 5 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff with fork and keep warm. Adjust seasonings, if desired.