- Prep Time: 4h 00 min
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Serving Size: 2 pocket sandwiches
Vary these aromatic pita pocket rice sandwiches by substituting chicken breast, salmon filet or lamb for the pork.
- 1-3/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup White Wine
- 1/2 Cup Onion
- 1/3 Cup Flat-leaf Parsley
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Oregano Leaves
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 3/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2-1/4 Pounds Boneless Pork Loin
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Cups Onion
- 1 Cup Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Cup Green Bell Pepper
- 1-1/2 Quart Long Grain Or Parboiled Rice*
- 1 Cup Black Olives
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- Teaspoon Salt 3/4
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1-1/2 Quart Baby Spinach Leaves
- 12 Each Whole Wheat Pitas
- Combine everything except for the pork in a large bowl; remove 1/3 of the mixture and reserve. Add the pork to the remaining marinade, toss to coat; cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Drain.
- Heat half the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the pork and sauté until lightly browned; remove and keep warm.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan; add the onion and bell peppers to the skillet and sauté until tender (about 2 minutes). Add the remaining ingredients and stir-fry for 4 minutes, until heated through and very flavorful. Return the pork to the pan and toss to combine.
- Toss the spinach leaves with the reserved marinade. Fill the pita pockets with pork-fried rice and dressed baby spinach.