- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Serving Size: 1 mushroom
These gigantic, gluten-free rice-stuffed mushroom caps are the perfect side dish for a grilled steak or roasted chicken. Replace the bacon with roasted peppers and serve two for a vegetarian main dish.
- 12 Each Portobello Mushrooms
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- To Taste Kosher Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 6 Ounces Bacon
- 1-1/2 Cup Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1-1/2 Teaspoon Fresh Thyme
- 1-1/2 Teaspoon Fresh Oregano
- 3/4 Cup White Wine
- 1 Quart Medium Grain Or Whole Grain Brown Rice*
- 3/4 Cup Scallions
- 3/4 Cup Gruyère Cheese
- 1 Cup Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
- Break off the mushroom stems, chop finely and set aside. Wipe off the caps with a damp towel and scrape off the gills from the undersides of the caps. Coat the caps with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the mushroom caps on a sheet pan and bake at 350˚F for 5 minutes, until they lose their raw look.
- In a skillet, render the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon and crumble; set aside. Add the chopped mushroom stems and onion to the hot bacon fat and sauté until the vegetables are tender. Add the garlic, thyme and oregano and sauté for a minute. Add the wine and boil until reduced to a glaze.
- Add the rice, reserved bacon, scallions, Gruyère cheese and 3/4 of the Parmesan cheese. Mix well and season with more salt and pepper. Stuff the caps with the filling and top with the remaining Parmesan. Hold in the refrigerator if needed. Bake at 375˚F for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and tops are lightly browned. Serve warm or at room temperature.