Enjoy this traditional Chinese rice porridge made with U.S.-grown long grain rice. Recipe created by Jill Fergus in partnership with Think Rice & The FeedFeed.
- 1 Cup U.S. Long Grain White Rice
- 8 Cups Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 Oz Knob of Ginger, peeled & sliced
- Clove of Garlic, sliced
- 1 Tsp Sea Salt
- Garnish/Mix Ins
- 2 Large Handfuls Baby Spinach
- Two Large Shiitake Mushrooms, sliced
- 1-2 Scallions, sliced
- Sesame Oil
- Soy Sauce of GF Tamari
- Sesame Seeds
- Cilantro and/or parsley
- Chili Sauce (with garlic)
- Flaky Sea Salt
- Fresh Ground Pepper
- In a 4 qt (or similar) heavy bottomed pot, add rice, ginger, salt and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, stir well and cover. Cook for about 90 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent any rice from sticking to the bottom and burning. Finished product should be nice and creamy. If thicker than you like, adjust with additional heated broth or boiled water (you want to maintain temperature).
- Remove ginger if thick sliced, you may allow it to stay of you love it. Stir In spinach and adjust salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle soy sauce and sesame oil and garnish as you like!